What is the squiggly spaghetti pasta called?

0 votes
asked Jan 31 in Other-Food Drink by oddles (2,650 points)
What is the squiggly spaghetti pasta called?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 19 by Gracy (133,260 points)
The squiggly spaghetti pasta is called Trofie.

Trofie is a thin, short and twisted pasta that is usually rolled by hand into the interesting squiggly shapes and is hailed from Liquria in northern Italy.

The traditional application and use for trofie spaghetti is to serve it with a basil pesto sauce although it is also commonly used with and enjoyed with light tomato sauce.

Trofie is a short, thin twisted pasta shape, about an inch in length.

This shape is thick in the middle and has pointed ends.

The shape originated in Liguria, Italy.

This shape is recommended to be used with pesto sauce, as this specific sauce can easily get into the pasta's crevices.

Trofie pasta is traditionally served along with potatoes and green beans, which are often boiled in the same water as the pasta, with pesto added right before serving.

Trofie can also be eaten with tomato based sauces, creamy sauces, seafood, and various vegetarian sauces.

The nutty taste of trofie also lends itself to other earthy flavors – anything with mushroom is a winner.

Trofie is available from select delicatessens. If it's unavailable, substitute another short dried pasta, such as penne or ziti.

103,099 questions

102,179 answers


7,031,759 users