What do you do if you have mold in your house?

0 votes
asked Mar 29 in Maintenance/Repairs by smallbook (580 points)
What do you do if you have mold in your house?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Mar 29 by Kjudobber (4,500 points)
When you have mold in your house you should start by spraying the mold with some bleach and then the bleach helps to kill the mold spores.

Do this before the mold spreads to far and when you notice a little bit of mold growth you should spray the mold with some bleach.

Then after 10 minutes or so wipe the mold off although some mold may not come off as easy such as when it's mold on drywall.

The drywall mold in most of those cases needs to have the moldy part of the drywall removed and replaced.

Wipe hard moldy surfaces with a suitable commercial product such as soap and water, or a heavily diluted bleach solution.

Always dry the surfaces after use to prevent mold from reappearing.

Wash or wipe porous surfaces and check regularly to see if mold has returned, as it can infiltrate these materials.

Mold in your home is pretty dangerous as mold can cause health issues such as lung disease, asthma, breathing issues, watery eyes, coughing, serious allergic reactions and even permanent lung damage.

Mold removal from your home or business can be pretty expensive depending on how much mold you have in your home or business that needs removed.

If you have some mold in your crawlspace or just in one room then the cost of professional mold removal may cost only $500.00 to $600.00

If you have more mold in more rooms then the mold removal cost could go up to as much as $3,000.00 to $6,000.00

When you have mold on your drywall the moldy drywall needs to be removed and hauled away and then mold spores need to be killed inside the walls as well.

Then new drywall would need to go up so just removing the mold in your home is only part of the repair as you need new drywall and sometimes new insulation as well if the insulation has molded as well.

Mold can be very dangerous to your health so you should always get mold removed before it spreads farther and does more damage to both your home and even your health.

Lung issues and other breathing issues can occur when you breathe in that mold.

If you have dampness in your home and getting mold then you should use a dehumidifier to help remove that humidity and moisture from the home.

You should also use a fan that vents to the outside in your bathroom so that the steam from the shower goes outside and does not stay in the house.

39,303 questions

43,462 answers

277 comments

1,830,777 users

...