The most common cause of developing Thermus is if you've been in the water in the hot springs of Yellowstone.
You should avoid the water in the hot springs in Yellowstone because you can get infected with the Thermus bacteria and become sick.
You can get the Thermus through other hot springs as well as other hot water as well but most people get Thermus through contact with the water that is in the Yellowstone Hot Springs.
The Thermus or Thermus Aquatics bacteria can survive in temperatures ranging from 122 F to 176 F, and growth conditions thrive at approximately 158 F.
The cylindrical bacterium of Thermus is a chemotroph whereby it gains it's energy from the oxidation of electron donors.