How can a bachelorhood certificate be made in any state of India?

0 votes
asked Sep 25, 2023 in Law Enforcement/Police by Alicewi (520 points)

In India, obtaining a bachelorhood certificate is a straightforward process. It is also regarded the single status certificate. This certificate is typically required when you are going to apply for a visa or getting married abroad. This document actually proves that an individual is legally single and eligible for marriage. But, this is not easy. You have to obtain a single status certificate in any state of India where you belong to. 

  • Start by visiting the local Marriage Registrar Office in the district where you are registered as a resident of India. Provide your identification and address proofs to enclose with the application.
  • Request the application form for a bachelorhood certificate from the embassy. Fill it out accurately by mentioning your personal details, including your name, date of birth, and address.
  • You may need to prepare an affidavit for it. It should state your single status. You can do it on a plain paper. You need to follow the format provided by the office. This affidavit should declare that you are not married, and have never been married before.
  • Now, attach photocopies of relevant documents, such as your birth certificate, passport, and address proof. Ensure that you have attested copies of these documents.
  • Once done, submit the completed application form, affidavit, and supporting documents to the SDM office. And also, pay the prescribed fee for processing.
  • The authority will review your application and conduct background checks to verify your single status.
  • Once your single status is verified, the bachelorhood certificate will be issued. 
  • If you require the certificate for the marriage abroad, you may need to get it attested by the Ministry of External Affairs or obtain an Apostille. It depends on the country's requirements.

You should always remember that the exact process may vary slightly from state to state. So, it's advised to check with the local Marriage Registrar Office or consult with legal experts for any specific requirements or changes in the procedure.

Please log in or register to answer this question.

104,533 questions

104,430 answers


7,044,899 users