Can you use too much zinc oxide?

0 votes
asked Mar 4 in Body/Skin by X3AmySarah (1,940 points)
Can you use too much zinc oxide?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Mar 22 by Daltonthreet (11,170 points)
You can use too much zinc oxide which can cause allergic reactions, skin irritation and even rashes.

Zinc oxide is not toxic to the skin when used in moderation and when used accordingly.

However using too much zinc oxide or when using zinc oxide when allergic to it can cause local skin irritation as well as some serious allergic reactions.

You should avoid zinc oxide if you have sensitive skin or are allergic to zinc or other ingredients that zinc oxide contains.

However for most people zinc oxide is very safe when used accordingly.

The negative side effects of zinc oxide are possible rash, itching, swelling, swelling of the face, tongue, throat, trouble breathing and severe dizziness.

If you experience these side effects seek medical attention although the serious negative side effects of zinc oxide are rare.

People who should not use zinc oxide are people allergic to wax, mineral oil, parabens, petroleum jelly, cod liver oil, lanolin, dimethicone or zinc.

Zinc oxide when applied to your skin treats and prevents diaper rash, burns, cuts and other skin irritation.

Certain types of zinc oxide also protect the skin from the ultraviolet rays of the sun and you can rub the zinc oxide on the affected skin when needed.

Zinc oxide works as an astringent meaning it helps shrink skin and pores and can absorb excess oils.

This can reduce acne and help keep our skin dry in the summer heat.

Ingestion of large amounts of zinc oxide may cause nausea, cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Zinc oxide is often used in ointments along with vitamins A and D, and toxicity usually develops to these added constituents rather than the zinc oxide.

The Zinc oxide is normally applied to the affected areas several times daily on an as needed basis.

Be sure to wash the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly before applying zinc oxide.

A very serious allergic reaction to this zinc oxide is rare.

However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

Zinc Oxide is one of the safe ingredients you should be thankful for if you have incorporated it into your daily skincare routine.

After washing and moisturizing your face, put a small amount of zinc oxide on acne spots.

Leave the cream exposed to speed up acne healing and improve collagen synthesis.

Collagen helps make pores smaller, and your skin feel tighter.

Zinc oxide is a largely inert, white compound which is used very widely as a bulking agent or filler, and as a white pigment.

It is found in some rubber, glass and ceramic products, and finds use in the chemical industry as a catalyst.

It is also used in paints as a corrosion inhibitor and for mildew control.

Zinc Oxide is an inorganic compound which is also known as Calamine or Zinc White.

The zinc oxide is naturally found as a mineral zincite.

101,246 questions

97,029 answers


7,002,656 users