Is Mint toxic to cats?

0 votes
asked Sep 14, 2022 in Cats by finewine99 (1,400 points)
Is Mint toxic to cats?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Oct 2, 2022 by Higgonbottom (13,070 points)
Mint is toxic to cats.

All parts of the mint plant are toxic and poisonous to cats including the stems, flowers and leaves because they are loaded with essential oils which are highly toxic to cats as well as dogs and horses.

Basil is not toxic to cats and in fact Basil is a good herb that is safe for cats to chew on and Basil is also good for cats.

Lavender is toxic to cats although it's only mildly toxic to cats.

Most often when cats eat Lavendar they will be just fine.

A peace lily plant is very toxic to cats.

Mauna Loa Plants, also known as Peace Lilies, contain calcium oxalate crystals, which are toxic to cats.

If your cat chews on the stems or even the leaves of this plant, the crystals are released.

Injury to your cat is caused when the crystals start to penetrate the cat's tissues.

Aloe Vera is poisonous to cats and highly toxic to cats.

If a cat eats Aloe Vera plant they can become really sick and possibly die if they don't get to a vet quick enough.

Plant poisoning in cats lasts between 24 hours to 48 hours.

Most times plant poisoning will go away on it's own and your cat should return to normal but it's a good idea to contact the vet.

Signs and symptoms that your cat has been poisoned by a plant are.

Difficulty Breathing, Rapid or Labored Breathing, twitching or seizures, vomiting or diarrhea, coughing and drooling or salivation.

Plants that are most toxic to cats are.

Sago Palm.
Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs.
Castor Bean.

You can tell if your cat has been poisoned by a plant by looking out for symptoms of plant poisoning in cats.

Signs and symptoms that your cat has been poisoned by a plant are.

Difficulty Breathing, Rapid or Labored Breathing, twitching or seizures, vomiting or diarrhea, coughing and drooling or salivation.

Cats do sometimes eat houseplants and some houseplants can make cats sick while other houseplants are safe if the cat eats them.

If a cat eats a plant the cat may vomit, drool or have diarrhea.

Some plants are toxic to cats and some plants are not toxic to cats so it depends on what plant the cat eats.

If a cat eats a non toxic plant then nothing will usually happen other than possible vomiting or gagging but if they eat a toxic plant they may be poisoned or may just have stomach cramping and diarrhea and vomiting and in some cases death if they are not treated.

You can use vinegar and water or some spices on the plants leaves to stop your cat from eating your plants.

To stop your cat from eating your plant leaves you can mix some vinegar and water and spray the solution on the plant leaves.

Or sprinkle a bit of chili powder or spice on the plant leaves and the cat will stop eating the plant leaves.

Cats will eat plants either because they like the taste, are bored or they may have an upset stomach and are alleviating any stomach discomfort.

The same is true when cats eat grass as they are either sick or bored or just wants to make themselves throw up.

Some plants are toxic to cats while some plants are safe for cats to ingest.

Succulents can be toxic to cats but most succulents are considered to be harmless and non toxic to cats and pets when ingested.

Some succulents can contain irritants that can cause minor skin irritations and stomach irritations when ingested.

If your cat does eat a toxic succulent then they will usually experience gastrointestinal upset, i.e. vomiting, anorexia, or diarrhea after ingesting the succulent.

Succulents are good for indoor air quality as succulents naturally purify and filter the air making the air in the home or indoor space better to breathe.

To know if your succulents are dying look for signs that the succulents are dying.

Some signs that your succulents are dying are brown, mushy leaves mean the roots are rotting.

Pale, yellow leaves indicate that rot or infection has spread.

Wrinkly, dehydrated leaves mean the roots are drying up.

You can usually save an over watered succulent by taking the succulent out of it's pot and placing it in another pot that is drier.

Succulents will start opening up when they don't get enough sunlight.

When a succulent does not have enough light it will try to get closer to where ever the light comes from.

It will change the way it grows to get to as much light as possible.

It will start to lean over, and if it still doesn't get more light, it will stretch itself out just to get a little closer.

Succulents stretch out when they aren't getting enough sunlight.

You'll first notice the succulent start to turn and bend toward the light source.

Then as it continues to grow it will get taller with more space between the leaves.

Succulents do sometimes get bigger.

Some succulents, like the Haworthia, get big by producing copies of themselves, also called pups.

Given enough space, they will spread indefinitely.

Some succulents grow into huge plants on their own.

You can leave grow lights on succulents for 12 to 14 hours.

All succulents need darkness each day to maintain a healthy growing cycle, but need at least six hours of sunlight a day to stay thriving.

When using grow lights for my indoor succulents, I'll leave them on for about 12-14 hours, mimicking the natural daylight plus a few hours.

Succulents don't like to be root bound like some other plants.

Succulents will not grow fast in crowded arrangements.

I don't recommend planting a 2 inch succulents in a 1 gallon container.

It's too much space that can have a negative impact on the health of the plant - too much soil for not enough roots can keep a deep pot of soil too moist, resulting in root rot.

You can plant succulents in just rocks or gravel as long as you water them more often than you would if they were planted in soil.

Succulents can live without soil as succulents actually have water storage tissues that make them drought resistant.

The succulents typically store water in their leaves, their stems, or their roots.

They have adapted to survive very dry, arid conditions.

They do not need to be watered frequently and do not need a moist soil to survive.

All purpose potting mix will usually work great for succulents as long as it's not packed in too tight and allow for the drainage of the soil.

Don't use heavy garden soils, mixes that contain vermiculite, or any type that says it has added moisture control or retains water.

Succulents need a well draining potting soil, not one that holds moisture.

Succulents can grow in sand so you can plant succulents in sand as it's a good draining soil and some wild succulents as well as cactus grow in sand.

Drought-tolerant succulents are most likely to thrive in dense sand and will save time and water.

Salt-tolerant succulents should be utilized in landscapes along the shore where they are subjected to salty conditions.

Cactus soil is not the same as succulent soil but cactus soil is a good soil for succulents as they are similar soils.

100,006 questions

96,134 answers


6,997,885 users