What happens if my cat eats spider plant?

0 votes
asked Sep 14, 2022 in Cats by finewine99 (1,400 points)
What happens if my cat eats spider plant?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Oct 2, 2022 by Higgonbottom (13,070 points)
If a cat eats a spider plant the cat may hallucinate but not too severely but other than that the cat should be fine as long as the cat is not allergic to the spider plant.

The cat that eats spider plant may have some stomach pain or vomiting but spider plants are safe for cats to eat.

It is OK for cats to eat spider plants as spider plants are not toxic to cats or dogs although some cats may get a temporary high and hallucination feeling when ingesting spider plants but it's not harmful for your cat.

Spider plants when ingested by cats do cause the cat to get high.

When the cat ingests spider plants they cause a mild hallucinogenic effect in cats.

The plant that cats hate the most is Lavender and pennyroyal.

Coleus and lemon thyme are also plants that cats hate the most and will stay away from.

Indoor plants that cats hate are Rosemary, Christmas Cactus, Devil's Ivy, Lemon Balm and Mint.

The kind of plants that cats can eat are Boston Fern, Air Plants, Phalaenopsis Orchids, Areca Palm, Bamboo Palm, African Violets, Catnip and Grass.

You can hang eucalyptus in your shower if you have a cat as long as you keep the cat out of the bathroom or shower.

However if the cat ingests or comes into contact with the eucalyptus plant and oils it can make the cat sick.

The Jade Plant is toxic to cats as well as dogs so they should be kept away from the Jade Plant.

The Money Tree is toxic to cats as well as dogs.

The money tree is also known as the jade plant or rubber plant which is highly toxic to cats and dogs when ingested.

Mint is toxic to cats.

All parts of the mint plant are toxic and poisonous to cats including the stems, flowers and leaves because they are loaded with essential oils which are highly toxic to cats as well as dogs and horses.

Basil is not toxic to cats and in fact Basil is a good herb that is safe for cats to chew on and Basil is also good for cats.

Lavender is toxic to cats although it's only mildly toxic to cats.

Most often when cats eat Lavender they will be just fine.

A peace lily plant is very toxic to cats.

Mauna Loa Plants, also known as Peace Lilies, contain calcium oxalate crystals, which are toxic to cats.

If your cat chews on the stems or even the leaves of this plant, the crystals are released.

Injury to your cat is caused when the crystals start to penetrate the cat's tissues.

Aloe Vera is poisonous to cats and highly toxic to cats.

If a cat eats Aloe Vera plant they can become really sick and possibly die if they don't get to a vet quick enough.

Plant poisoning in cats lasts between 24 hours to 48 hours.

Most times plant poisoning will go away on it's own and your cat should return to normal but it's a good idea to contact the vet.

Signs and symptoms that your cat has been poisoned by a plant are.

Difficulty Breathing, Rapid or Labored Breathing, twitching or seizures, vomiting or diarrhea, coughing and drooling or salivation.

Plants that are most toxic to cats are.

Sago Palm.
Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs.
Castor Bean.

You can tell if your cat has been poisoned by a plant by looking out for symptoms of plant poisoning in cats.

Signs and symptoms that your cat has been poisoned by a plant are.

Difficulty Breathing, Rapid or Labored Breathing, twitching or seizures, vomiting or diarrhea, coughing and drooling or salivation.

Cats do sometimes eat houseplants and some houseplants can make cats sick while other houseplants are safe if the cat eats them.

If a cat eats a plant the cat may vomit, drool or have diarrhea.

Some plants are toxic to cats and some plants are not toxic to cats so it depends on what plant the cat eats.

If a cat eats a non toxic plant then nothing will usually happen other than possible vomiting or gagging but if they eat a toxic plant they may be poisoned or may just have stomach cramping and diarrhea and vomiting and in some cases death if they are not treated.

You can use vinegar and water or some spices on the plants leaves to stop your cat from eating your plants.

To stop your cat from eating your plant leaves you can mix some vinegar and water and spray the solution on the plant leaves.

Or sprinkle a bit of chili powder or spice on the plant leaves and the cat will stop eating the plant leaves.

Cats will eat plants either because they like the taste, are bored or they may have an upset stomach and are alleviating any stomach discomfort.

The same is true when cats eat grass as they are either sick or bored or just wants to make themselves throw up.

Some plants are toxic to cats while some plants are safe for cats to ingest.

Succulents can be toxic to cats but most succulents are considered to be harmless and non toxic to cats and pets when ingested.

Some succulents can contain irritants that can cause minor skin irritations and stomach irritations when ingested.

If your cat does eat a toxic succulent then they will usually experience gastrointestinal upset, i.e. vomiting, anorexia, or diarrhea after ingesting the succulent.

Succulents are good for indoor air quality as succulents naturally purify and filter the air making the air in the home or indoor space better to breathe.

To know if your succulents are dying look for signs that the succulents are dying.

Some signs that your succulents are dying are brown, mushy leaves mean the roots are rotting.

Pale, yellow leaves indicate that rot or infection has spread.

Wrinkly, dehydrated leaves mean the roots are drying up.

You can usually save an over watered succulent by taking the succulent out of it's pot and placing it in another pot that is drier.

Succulents will start opening up when they don't get enough sunlight.

When a succulent does not have enough light it will try to get closer to where ever the light comes from.

It will change the way it grows to get to as much light as possible.

It will start to lean over, and if it still doesn't get more light, it will stretch itself out just to get a little closer.

Succulents stretch out when they aren't getting enough sunlight.

You'll first notice the succulent start to turn and bend toward the light source.

Then as it continues to grow it will get taller with more space between the leaves.

Succulents do sometimes get bigger.

Some succulents, like the Haworthia, get big by producing copies of themselves, also called pups.

Given enough space, they will spread indefinitely.

Some succulents grow into huge plants on their own.

You can leave grow lights on succulents for 12 to 14 hours.

All succulents need darkness each day to maintain a healthy growing cycle, but need at least six hours of sunlight a day to stay thriving.

When using grow lights for my indoor succulents, I'll leave them on for about 12-14 hours, mimicking the natural daylight plus a few hours.

Succulents don't like to be root bound like some other plants.

Succulents will not grow fast in crowded arrangements.

I don't recommend planting a 2 inch succulents in a 1 gallon container.

It's too much space that can have a negative impact on the health of the plant - too much soil for not enough roots can keep a deep pot of soil too moist, resulting in root rot.

You can plant succulents in just rocks or gravel as long as you water them more often than you would if they were planted in soil.

Succulents can live without soil as succulents actually have water storage tissues that make them drought resistant.

The succulents typically store water in their leaves, their stems, or their roots.

They have adapted to survive very dry, arid conditions.

They do not need to be watered frequently and do not need a moist soil to survive.

All purpose potting mix will usually work great for succulents as long as it's not packed in too tight and allow for the drainage of the soil.

98,199 questions

93,661 answers


6,984,395 users