Where do I have to sign the title when selling a car?

0 votes
asked Jun 23, 2022 in Buying & Selling by Twinkletoes (530 points)
Where do I have to sign the title when selling a car?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Jun 29, 2022 by 7maxwarren (12,600 points)
To sign the title when selling a car on the title where it says “Signature(s) of all purchaser(s),” all persons who are buying the car should sign their names.

Next to that, the seller should sign their name.

Then on the next line, all buyers and sellers should print their names.

If 2 people own the car and 2 peoples names are on the title then both owners do have to sign the title to sell the car.

However the exception is if there is an 'or' in between the names, typically only 1 signature is required to sell the car.

A co-owner is someone who owns an asset jointly with another person. In the case of a car, both the owner and the co-owner are listed on the title.

It doesn't matter if only one of you is on the insurance or registration for the car.

In some states you can insure a car that is not in your name.

Although generally most insurance companies will want you to be the owner of the car before they'll insure it in your name.

If you're a licensed driver and need to drive someone else's car and need insurance on that car then you can get insurance on the car even if it's not in your name.

You can also can buy auto insurance coverage for someone else, as most companies allow the driver and policyholder to be in different names.

This is fairly common for teen drivers, as parents generally are the auto policyholders until dependents can purchase their own vehicle and own insurance.

You cannot be on your parents' car insurance if the car is in your name and you are listed as the sole owner.

Your parents can't insure your car unless they are listed as owners.

So if you are thinking about buying your own car, it is a good idea to ask for quotes from several insurance companies first.

Geico will insure a car that is not in your name if you live in a state where the name on a car's registration and insurance do not need to match and you can prove “insurable interest.”

To prove insurable interest, you must be able to prove direct financial loss if the car in question is damaged or destroyed.

104,378 questions

104,114 answers


7,043,185 users