Blue cheese is an antibiotic due to the presence of the mold in it which is known as Penicillium mold and is used in medication.
The reason it's called blue cheese is because of the color of the mold that is present in the blue cheese.
The mold in blue cheese can be a blue color and sometimes green.
Some brands of blue cheese are pasteurized in the US while other brands are not Pasteurized.
Usually the blue cheese will state that it was pasteurized on the packaging.
Blue Cheese comes in both pasteurized and non pasteurized types.
The mold in blue cheese is safe to eat and is actually healthy for you.
Blue cheese mold is not toxic nor does it produce any toxins and it's made of Penicillium.
The Penicillium mold that blue cheese contains and is made of is safe to consume unlike other forms of mold.
Blue cheese with the Penicillium mold can look disgusting and for some people it even tastes disgusting but a lot of people enjoy blue cheese and eat it with no problem.
For me it makes me sick to try and eat blue cheese but not because of the Penicillium mold but it's just disgusting to me.
The Penicillium mold is a genus of ascomycetous fungi that is of major importance in the natural environment, in food spoilage, and in food and drug production.
Some members of the genus produce penicillin, a molecule that is used as an antibiotic, which kills or stops the growth of certain kinds of bacteria.