Is the mold in blue cheese safe to eat?

0 votes
asked Jan 26 in Other-Food Drink by Latineducator45 (940 points)
Is the mold in blue cheese safe to eat?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Jan 27 by Jamie (16,850 points)
The mold in blue cheese is safe to eat and is actually healthy for you.

Blue cheese mold is not toxic nor does it produce any toxins and it's made of Penicillium.

The Penicillium mold that blue cheese contains and is made of is safe to consume unlike other forms of mold.

Blue cheese with the Penicillium mold can look disgusting and for some people it even tastes disgusting but a lot of people enjoy blue cheese and eat it with no problem.

For me it makes me sick to try and eat blue cheese but not because of the Penicillium mold but it's just disgusting to me.

The Penicillium mold is a genus of ascomycetous fungi that is of major importance in the natural environment, in food spoilage, and in food and drug production.

Some members of the genus produce penicillin, a molecule that is used as an antibiotic, which kills or stops the growth of certain kinds of bacteria.

35,797 questions

39,186 answers

224 comments

1,388,018 users

...